Re: Another cablecut - sri lanka to suez Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Fri Feb 01 20:09:58 2008

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
Yah.  I'm a security guy, and hence suspicious by nature -- our slogan
is "Paranoia is our Profession" -- and I'm getting very concerned.  The
old saying comes to mind: "once is happenstance, twice is coincidence,
but the third time is enemy action".  The alternative some common mode
failure -- perhaps the storm others have noted.

It may just be the normal growing pains networks go through as they reach a certain size and those "minor" problems become "major" problems. When the Internet was sparser in the USA, we had similar "concindences."

1997: Backhoes in Concert
   http://www.nanog.org/nanog-tshirts/nanog11.jpg