Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Thu Jan 31 04:37:22 2008

At 04:13 AM 31-01-08 -0500, Sean Donelan wrote:

What makes this incident more interesting, as I indicated if its not one cable its another cable, was the double international cable cuts.
Likewise, what made Tawain 2006 interesting wasn't an earthquake affected
a cable, but there were multiple cable cuts in the region.

Quick, everyone get out your international cable maps and speculate
where in the world the next double (or triple, quad, etc) cable cut
could happen.  Due to regional politics, I don't think there are many
overland geographic diverse routes between countries to backup the
undersea routes.  If I remember the Wired article, FLAG did try to
build some overland geographic diversity through the region.

I think more interesting is the landing stations where numerous cables intersect. They may be diverse in the water, but they cluster around each other when they hit the landing stations.

-Hank