Re: Sicily to Egypt undersea cable disruption

  • From: Jim Mercer
  • Date: Thu Jan 31 03:55:23 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 02:41:22AM +0000, Todd Underwood wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 01:56:42AM +0000, Paul Ferguson wrote:
> > For what its worth, Todd Underwood has a very good overview of the
> > countries affected by this outage over on the Renesys Blog here:
> >
> > http://www.renesys.com/blog/2008/01/mediterranean_cable_break.shtml
>
> there are some interesting findings here about who (what carriers,
> what countries) were critically dependant on these cable systems.
> we'll probably put some more effort into analyzing this situation as
> it develops and compare it to the taiwan outages that hit late 2006.

an FYI for anyone looking to do hosting/connectivity to Dubai or the UAE:

there are only two providers in the UAE, etisalat and du.

while du is either completely offline, or pushing all its traffic across
what appeared to be single dial-up ISDN link 8^), etisalat seems largely
uneffected. (connectivity from my du connected office was barely useable,
while my du connected residence was completely offline, connectivity from my
etisalat connected co-lo and etisalat connected office are operating pretty
much at norm, which is to say, not quite what i'd expect for north america,
but quite acceptable for the region)

the downside is that du is the "progressive" provider, while etisalat continues
to filter and block various and sundry sites and facilities based on complaints
from its more conservative customers (porn, dating sites, and social
networking sites like facebook/etc) and techno-political bents (ie. many
sites relative to VoIP and web proxies are blocked)

--
Jim Mercer        [email protected]        +971 55 410-5633
"I'm Prime Minister of Canada, I live here and I'm going to take a leak."