Re: IPv6 questions

  • From: Erik Nordmark
  • Date: Tue Jan 29 13:46:33 2008

snort bsd wrote:
Never mind

it is the VLAN number. But which RFC define this?

I've never seen an IPv6 RFC specify to put the VLAN number in the link-local address.
Thus this must be an (odd) choice made by some implementation. Perhaps the implementation somehow requires that all the link-local addresses for all its (sub)interfaces be unique, even though the RFCs assume that the implementation should be able to deal with multiple interfaces with same same link-local address.

Erik

Thanks all

Dave