Re: EU Official: IP Is Personal

  • From: Owen DeLong
  • Date: Thu Jan 24 17:56:43 2008

I'm sorry, but, I have a great deal of difficulty seeing how an IP can be considered
personally identifying.

For example, in my home, I have static addresses. However, the number of
different people using those addresses would, to me, imply that you cannot
personally identify anyone based solely on the IP address they are using
within my network. Certainly, you cannot say that I initiated all of the packets
which came from my addresses.

Another example would be a retail store that I work with as a SCUBA Instructor.
They also have static IP addresses, but, I would not say that any of the traffic
coming from the store is necessarily personally identifiable. Our entire
staff (half a dozen instructors, a dozen or so divemasters and AIs, the
owner, and at least one other retail assistant) source traffic from within
that network.

The larger the business, the less identifiable the addresses become, generally.
However, even in these ultra-small examples, I don't feel that the addresses
are, in themselves, personally identifying.

Owen