Re: Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Wed Jan 23 06:24:45 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Andy Davidson wrote:

I think that charging for deaggregation of PA is hard to imagine. I think charging for PI as a model may have been worthy of consideration several years ago, but since we're only months away from entire product lines of deployed edge kit nolonger accepting a full table, the battle is over (and operators lost).

As far as I can see, the only way to solve de-aggregation and PI is to create some kind of cryptographic signing of aggregate routes sent out to DFZ.

RIPE/ARIN and other equal instances need to sign the combination of AS and prefix, and this is then used (somehow) to authenticate the prefix when received. This would also have the added benefit of stopping people from sending more specifics with other ISPs IP space (or even their own, as only the actual aggregate prefix would be signed, not more specifics that people use for "TE").

So this "certificate" or alike needs to be time limited and coupled to payment if we're going to charge for PI/PA yearly.

Yes, this increases complexity in the DFZ enormously, and I don't know if the benefit outweighs the complexity and added risks for failures.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]