Re: Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

  • From: Andy Davidson
  • Date: Wed Jan 23 05:21:09 2008

On 22 Jan 2008, at 17:30, Michael K. Smith - Adhost wrote:

Hmm, who gets paid? It sounds like your hinting around a telco-type reciprocal payment model (correct me if I'm wrong). Do I pay my upstreams who in turn pay there upstreams and so on and so on? Or, is there some central, uber-authority that gets paid by all of us? It seems to me that there are many billing models that accommodate point-to-point relationships, but I'm having a hard time coming up with a mental model of payment in the many-to-many environment in the DFZ.

People pay the RIRs.

The RIRs spend money on parties for network operators.

I think that charging for deaggregation of PA is hard to imagine. I think charging for PI as a model may have been worthy of consideration several years ago, but since we're only months away from entire product lines of deployed edge kit nolonger accepting a full table, the battle is over (and operators lost).

Andy