Re: Lessons from the AU model

  • From: Matthew Moyle-Croft
  • Date: Mon Jan 21 22:56:44 2008

Here it stands for Multilateral peering, so in simplistic terms it means you peer with everyone at an exchange. A route server.

My issue isn't that they exist (and in fact one network I maintain is a member of three MLPs.) The issue is compelling people to join the MLP. This dissuades large networks from joining in with the public peering game, and is probably harmful to the peering ecology of the region rather than helpful.
Given that three of the Gang of Four (Telstra/Reach, Optus/Singtel, AAPT/Telecom NZ) (hey all encumbents!) won't peer in Oz, even with Global Tier1s in Oz, it doesn't seem a big problem as the cost the GoF charge to access their network is so high (Does that mean there are no global tier 1s? :-)

In Australia basically almost everyone bar the GoF peers at the major peering fabrics (PIPEx6, WAIXx1, Equinix Sydney) as it gives you such a large chunk of the eyeballs and corporates outside of the GoF.

We peer with some of Telstra/Reaches upstreams in the US, but they won't peer in Oz. They won't even peer with some very large global tier2s.

Best wishes Andy

-- Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks Level 5, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia Email: [email protected] Web: http://www.on.net Direct: +61-8-8228-2909 Mobile: +61-419-900-366 Reception: +61-8-8228-2999 Fax: +61-8-8235-6909

"The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping from the old ones" - John Maynard Keynes