Re: Lessons from the AU model

  • From: Tom Vest
  • Date: Mon Jan 21 22:05:05 2008

On Jan 21, 2008, at 8:20 PM, Roderick Beck wrote:

Tom,

With all due respect, what are you trying to say in simple, clear English?

It is plain wrong to claim the DWDM can explain today's prices on the Atlantic

Is it? Sorry, how do you explain it then? An unanticipated/ undiscounted DWDM-driven windfall in salable supply (1), plus competition (2), plus financial distress (3), plus "innovative" transactions (4) are my prime suspects; the fact that every increment of private line capacity sold or otherwise transferred is fungible and can be further multiplexed just accelerates the (2-4) dynamic. I believe that the same thing -- (2) leading to price collapse, leading to (3) -- would have happened even if there been only two TA cables, assuming of course that (2) still applied -- maybe even if there were only one cable with enough upgradeable fiber pairs. Sure, "overinvestment" played some marginal role, but each new facilities platform added a multiple to the available supply,

1x, 2x... 8x...

whereas DWDM advances that really kicked in only after gen1 entepreneurial cables were already planned if not in the water, added/ continues to add exponents

(1x)^4, (2x)^6... (8x)^n?

and that DWDM allows providers to make sufficient ROI..

I didn't say that; I did say that I don't know how to define, much less calculate, "sufficient" ROI.
Sufficient for what? When is "sufficient" ever sufficient, assuming you can extract more?

If I can build one house, and rent it, manage it, and and maintain it at an overall return that will enable me to subsidize 100% of the purchase of another identical lot and identical materials and labor to build a second house, then maybe I'll decide that that's not really sufficient, e.g., because people demand bigger houses today, or maybe I think I could squeeze harder and get enough for three houses, or maybe four... Which one is "sufficient"? What if I've already got a lot of empty houses, but the market for housing won't deliver prices that satisfy my preferred sufficiency test?

I have to believe that the financial authorities (public and private) will recognize these new, previously undiscounted developments, and find a way to integrate this new, previously unrecognized abundance into the broader economy -- e.g., by bankrolling future capacity builds (when there is real demand) even though their builders can't promise and won't deliver bubble-era returns. I have to believe it because I'm not cynical or paranoid enough to buy into any worldview that would lead to other assumptions. I might be proven wrong -- but if I do I'd have to start wondering about all sorted of things, e.g., the 200mpg combustion engine, etc...

TV

About 70 percent of the operating costs of a TransAtlantic cable are undersea maintenance and undersea maintenance costs are rising (think fuel costs).

You can spread those fixed costs over more waves as DWDM improves, but it is not enough in general.

I was comparing initial build/launch capex to the incremental capex required for upgrades (granted these costs vary by platform/ technology generation).
I'm not surprised that a large/rising share of opex is O&M. The fuel component of O&M isn't incrementing in parallel with additional capacity sales, so why isn't expansion of the de facto sponsorship pool one way to offset the rising costs?

TV

Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.