Re: Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Mon Jan 21 17:12:06 2008

> > For example, the Cisco 3750G has all of features except for the
> > ability to hold 300k+  prefixes. Per CDW, the 48-port version costs
> > $10k, so the difference (ergo cost attributable to prefix count) is
> > $40k-$10k=$30k, or 75%.
>
> Unfortunately, I have to run real packets through a real router in the
> real world, not design a network off CDW's website.
>
> As a simple for-instance, taking just a few thousand routes on the
> 3750 and trying to do multipath over, say 4xGigE, the 'router' will
> fail and you will see up to 50% packet loss.  This is not something I
> got off CDW's website, this is something we saw in production.
>
> And that's without ACLs, NetFlow, 100s of peering sessions, etc.  None
> of which the 3750 can do and still pass gigabits of traffic through a
> layer 3 decision matrix.

Patrick,

Please excuse me for asking, but you seem to be arguing in a most unusual
manner.  You seem to be saying that the 3750 is not a workable device for
L3 routing (which may simply be a firmware issue, don't know, don't care).
>From the point of finding a 48-port device which could conceivably route
packets at wirespeed, even if it doesn't /actually/ do so, this device
seems like a reasonable choice for purposes of cost comparisons to me.
But okay, we'll go your way for a bit.

Given that the 3750 is not acceptable, then what exactly would you propose
for a 48 port multigigabit router, capable of wirespeed, that does /not/
hold a 300K+ prefix table?  All we need is a model number and a price, and
then we can substitute it into the pricing questions previously posed.

If you disagree that the 7600/3bxl is a good choice for the fully-capable
router, feel free to change that too.  I don't really care, I just want to
see the cost difference between DFZ-capable and non-DFZ-capable on stuff
that have similar features in other ways.

... JG