Re: Cost per prefix [was: request for help w/ ATT and terminology]

  • From: Matt Palmer
  • Date: Sun Jan 20 21:15:38 2008

On Sun, Jan 20, 2008 at 08:20:36PM -0500, Jeff McAdams wrote:
> Joe Abley wrote:
> > On 20-Jan-2008, at 15:34, William Herrin wrote:
>
> >> Perhaps your definition of "entry level DFZ router" differs from mine.
> >> I selected a Cisco 7600 w/ sup720-3bxl or rsp720-3xcl as my baseline
> >> for an entry level DFZ router.
>
> > A new cisco 2851 can be found for under $10k and can take a gig of RAM.
> > If your goal is to have fine-grained routing data, and not to carry gigs
> > of traffic, that particular router is perfectly adequate.
>
> And to take that concept to its logical extreme.
>
> A Linux box (*BSD, pick your poison) running Quagga or similar will do
> the job at an extremely low price point.

So if we plug in, say, $2k for the cost of the Linux box, and compare it to
the L3 switch mentioned earlier, each extra prefix saves the Internet around
50c?  <grin>

- Matt

--
"Ah, the beauty of OSS. Hundreds of volunteers worldwide volunteering their
time inventing and implementing new, exciting ways for software to suck."