Re: An Attempt at Economically Rational Pricing: Time Warner Trial

  • From: Taran Rampersad
  • Date: Sat Jan 19 16:27:31 2008

Rod Beck wrote:

Ironically, the Net Neutrality debate is about the access providers trying to impose usage-based pricing through the backdor - on the content providers. It goes without saying I oppose it. It's the end users who decide what they view and hence ultimately generate the traffic flows. So the end users should be subject to the usage-based pricing.

Concur. However, comma, if governments are charging taxes (such as the EU) it leads to the question of what people pay taxes *for* - and paying more taxes because they use the internet more would mean those that use more would pay more in usage fees and pay more in taxes - which runs completely against the stacks of documents written about equality on the internet. Not taking a side on that, but it is an interesting point to chew on - realistically, a balance would have to be struck.

And, as an aside, the Network Neutrality issue affects the globe and is only being debated in one country.

--
Taran Rampersad
[email protected]

http://www.knowprose.com
http://www.your2ndplace.com
http://www.opendepth.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knowprose/

"Criticize by Creating" - Michelangelo
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine." - Nikola Tesla