Re: v6 gluelessness

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Fri Jan 18 20:13:52 2008

existing policy states that IANA is not supposed to make changes to
TLDs (especially ccTLDs which are considered to have national
sovereignty issues tied up with them) that have not been explicitly
requested by the administrative and technical contacts for the zone.

seems perfectly reasonable.

but, in actual fact, this does not change the ccTLD's zone file or date one bit. the request is to add a AAAA RR to the existing A RR *for my server* in the root zone to act as glue. the ccTLDs' delegations are not changed by one bit.

I believe the idea is that there was concern that ICANN (seen as a
pawn of the US government in many quarters) could pull the rug out
from under a ccTLD admin without their knowledge.  That would be bad.

i strongly agree with this goal. i also see icann as a pawn of the usg and have been very unhappy about this for a loooong time. but you knew that already.

what i do not see is how it is relevant in this particular case. no one is asking to change any ccTLD.

the iana publishes data about one of *my* servers. these data have become erroneous by omission. i am merely asking that they be fixed.

is the horse dead yet? :)

randy