Re: v6 gluelessness

  • From: Lucy Lynch
  • Date: Fri Jan 18 17:19:57 2008

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008, Randy Bush wrote:

It's the same process that is used to update a delegation in the root zone. For ccTLDs I believe there's some kind of web portal to allow such changes to be requested, but my experience is that the old text form also still works just fine.

i actually spent 20 minutes on the iana web site. admittedly that was far to little time to navigate and appreciate the plethora of papers and declarations on this and that. i finally sent off an email, but have no response, yet. i have hope, as the team there now is pretty good. it's probably just my lack of talent at navigating that much layer >= 9 paper. they need a link on the entry page saying "old ops folk go here."

I've done this a number of times over the past few years and have not had any problems.

send url.

how about a pdf and a txt link?

get: http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld-template.txt

modify and mail to: [email protected]

as per:

http://beta.iana.org/about/presentations/sarras-dubai-procedures-061120.pdf

I don't know what the process is for getting IPv6 addresses associated with host records in the VGRS COM/NET registry, but it seems like good information to share here if you find a definitive answer.

i will. i am trying to document ops processes for v6 in my feeble way, doing it in a blog-like fashion. e.g. for the sage of doing it at one small set of servers see <http://rip.psg.com/~randy/ipv6-westin.html>. more clues would be appreciated. i am hoping all this will seem trite and passe in six months or so.

but if we can not find a way to get AAAA glue added to gTLDs such as the com zone, we have a *serious* impediment to v6 deployment that needs to be fixed quickly.

randy