Re: Dictionary attacks prompted by NANOG postings?

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Thu Jan 17 02:38:21 2008

Does this happen to anyone else posting here?

not that i have noticed. i do see massively (> 5x) more ssh dict attacks on the hosts i have in tokyo than those on other continents. but the sample size is too small to draw any serious conclusions. but i would guess there are folk who actually study this.

> It's pretty clearly a lame attempt to intimidate by some loser.

rofl. seems a pretty paranoid conclusion to which to leap. could just be a list address harvester for a bunch of lists.

i figure that, since my hosts don't even do password ssh, that having password guessers go after my hosts is my contribution to reducing the attacks on more vulnerable hosts.

randy