RE: Looking for geo-directional DNS service

  • From: Hank Nussbacher
  • Date: Tue Jan 15 11:58:34 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Eric Frazier wrote:

Proximity checking is very important and I have run into cases as you have where it is needed. Even taking your example of a location in Toronto, peering arrangements would cause not all Toronto ISPs to act the same and therefore RTT could vary not just by 15ms but sometimes by 150ms. Now imagine I have a data center in Tokyo. Do I send all users from Hong Kong, Singapore, Korea, Taiwan and Australia to that data center in Tokyo or perhaps some would do better going to my data center in LA?

In regards to the Neustar staticly defined IPs - I was only able to uncover that after digging.

Thanks for the Netriplex lead. I like Neustar for their bullet proof DNS but not so much for their directional DNS service.

-Hank

Hi Hank,

I am curious, what makes proximity checking so important?  I am also curious
about how you learned that UltraDNS uses a static list, even if it is a
'static' list it is updated frequently and likely only contains the kinds of
errors that don't really affect you unless you have quite a few more than 4
locations. For example, if your locations in north america are Toronto,
Seattle and DC, it doesn't matter too much if an IP in Atlanta is 90ms to DC
AND 75ms to Toronto, but it would matter if you had three other data centers
in the south to make that fine grained matching more worthwhile.

I know with Quova one of the first things I asked them about was the case of
our own office IP which in their db returns Toronto and it kind of pissed me
off that they couldn't see that the round trip time clearly showed this IP
could not really be in Toronto, if you picked a few dozen known to 100%
IP/locations and tested latency from those you could get a pretty good fudge
factor to correct data or at least show it as being suspect.

Anyway, I have used UltraDNS in the past, there is also a company called
Netriplex that is a newcomer in comparison, but their pricing is a lot
better, not too cheap, not as expensive. They don't have as good as a
network as UltraDNS either.

Eric Frazier Senior Architect 216 Main Street, Suite 312 Bathurst, NB, E2A 1A8 Canada Phone : +1 506 546 8292 Fax : +1 506 546 8092 -----Original Message----- From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Hank Nussbacher Sent: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 7:21 AM To: [email protected] Cc: [email protected] Subject: Re: Looking for geo-directional DNS service