Re: FW: ISPs slowing P2P traffic...

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Tue Jan 15 04:28:35 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Brandon Galbraith wrote:

I think no matter what happens, it's going to be very interesting as Comcast
rolls out DOCSIS 3.0 (with speeds around 100-150Mbps possible), Verizon FIOS

Well, according to wikipedia DOCSIS 3.0 gives 108 megabit/s upstream as opposed to 27 and 9 megabit/s for v2 and v1 respectively. That's not what I would call revolution as I still guess hundreds if not thousands of subscribers share those 108 megabit/s, right? Yes, fourfold increase but ... that's still only factor 4.

expands it's offering (currently, you can get 50Mb/s down and 30Mb/sec up),
etc. If things are really as fragile as some have been saying, then the
bottlenecks will slowly make themselves apparent.

Upstream capacity will still be scarce on shared media as far as I can see.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]