Re: houston.rr.com MX fubar?

  • From: Mark Andrews
  • Date: Mon Jan 14 23:09:33 2008

> > Fallback to A should be removed sure sounds like a plan.
>
> great idea.  it will only break mail to 42% of the internet.

	Since there is no fallback to AAAA, in a few years it will
	break very little as most of the internet will have IPv6
	MTA's (and hence MX's) for their mail domains.

	MX fallback to A should have had a sunset time added to it
	when it was originally proposed.  It is, after all, only a
	transition strategy.  We can still add a sunset clause.

	MTA's would lookup their own MX records for the mail domains
	they are configured as final delivery agents for and if not
	found log that there are missing MX records.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: [email protected]