Re: Stupid Question: Network Abuse RFC?

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Mon Jan 14 13:10:45 2008

Sean Donelan wrote:

> The IETF (and other groups) developing "Best Common Practices" seem to
> sometimes forget
>
>   1. Is it a practice?
>   2. Is it a common practice?
>   3. Is it a best common practice?
>
> If no one is doing it, and they are largely ignored, did the IETF
> really do its job of consulting with the operational community to
> identify practices that are common and considered best?  It is the
> organizational version of "running code."

>From my perspective if the people who need the BCP aren't the one's
doing the writing then clearly something is going to be lost in
translation.

Writing things down, presenting and accepting criticism on them doesn't
require the blessing of standards body. If we're so rigid a culture that
we're incapable of handling the documentation of operational wisdom
informally yet we find ourselves bound to a standards body which we
claim isn't serving our interests, whose fault is that?