Re: Asymmetrical routing opinions/debate

  • From: William Herrin
  • Date: Mon Jan 14 11:03:06 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=sjfLvsdCPc/NZA2M5JFtbL+J67uUHMA31VKIpeqURqo=; b=Oh5lxiC0s8oemr9+uAfno9kpkpDEMUdf4HSSaMk6jhOvvnJTMftgV7AI0LxyrFx4HOe/i9z+Te2PyPci9/FMMF++kaeGX0F2moF3GquUI/hmX21+sI4PFuBK/AFwU5XjMDhGO5+PwdvleLcIDpF9zLBtb16GHA6CcTUo6RJRG4I=
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=Xk5Sjr7ZMNLq+2OXQJjhJ9i2DZdKl+J0BoNn2+sdRUxPM2qnBIoeMaIpiFdzwPc23Dc3ryv6o/lEOG9V9j+PXgZRQEqOa515MOymURuKOVe8LAVuZqe9MndTr6nJ78Cfe+u2VTBiNYwWU9RoHIMcrOe39/0Etx8QFyWyP9B6gLU=

On Jan 14, 2008 10:30 AM, Drew Weaver <[email protected]> wrote:
> I haven't noticed too many instances of this causing huge performance problems,
> but I have noticed some, has anyone noticed any instances in the real world where this
> has actually caused performance gains over symmetrical routing?

Drew,

There are at least two common scenarios where intentional asymmetric
routing (aka traffic engineering) benefits the sender:

Scenario 1: InterNAP-like product where the outbound packet takes a
path optimized for conditions other than shortest AS path. Conditions
might include minimize packet loss or maximize throughput as
determined by ongoing communication with testpoints in that direction.

Scenario 2: Cost minimization for bulk transfer. If you operate a
large mailing list or a usenet server, you might arrange for traffic
from the server to prefer peers first and then your lowest-cost
transit provider.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  [email protected]  [email protected]
3005 Crane Dr.                        Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>