Re: Microsoft's Black Tuesday bandwidth impact?

  • From: Alastair Johnson
  • Date: Thu Jan 10 13:25:04 2008

Jared Mauch wrote:
On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 02:47:53PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:
Are MSFT's monthly updates really a non-event in regards to internet
bandwidth?

Most of these things are pushed out to some sort of CDN or multiple CDN networks. Compared to lots of other things, i'm sure the downloads are much smaller when compared to things like p2p, streaming media foo and legal video downloads.

When I last had something to do at an ISP[1], we would regularly see our Akamai deployment jump from 10-20Mbps at 8am on Wednesday morning[2], to 40-60Mbps by 9am for an hour or two, around Patch Tuesday.

We found it very noticeable then. I don't see it so noticeable on a carrier network doing ~8Gbps with hundreds of K of subscribers, these days.

aj

[1] 2004
[2] NZ is some hours ahead of the US timed patch releases. 8am-9am is when most people turned their PCs on in the morning, which then appeared to commence downloading.