Re: can the memory technology save the routing table size scalability problem?

  • From: Christopher Morrow
  • Date: Tue Jan 08 22:53:47 2008
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=gQwvYST7anvELv0CEm9n/qPlePy7A2wb366YmiIZmP8=; b=vC7/PvkdCGaVToJ85NFwuR1f5wAbBSqDnJVaub7Dpj6fmG2RKEEo5YxM1cXBVjeYoj67jNw0c0OGFJJ7R5JacSdIYzd+a9Nfwsig177zVZKtYvHMrfxK9x4QS0ibUNPwy4q2XgHEe3sliX1bw8WMgE2fPnMBI76FGmhfjfVkecs=

On Jan 8, 2008 9:25 PM, yangyang. wang <[email protected]> wrote:
>  As we known, the DFZ RIB size expand rapidly. It may be resolved via router
> architecture improvement, such as adding memory chips or compressing RIB. or
> via changing routing and addressing scheme,  which one will be the long-term
> essential approach?

There are at least 2 problems to be addressed (given that you believe
'too many routes will crush the dfz routers')... both number of routes
and speed/number of updates.  So, adding more MEMORY (pick your type
DRAM/SRAM/bah) is only solving one of the problems. Additionally, most
moderm DFZ-placed platforms aren't necessarily 'RAM' limited, some of
the limits exist in hardware forwarding elements (TCAM/CAM/ASIC
systems).

Anyway, Suresh's followup has a decent info as well, you might locate
the RRG and RAM/RAWs working group meeting outputs as well:

(report)
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4984

-Chris