Re: Using x.x.x.0 and x.x.x.255 host addresses in supernets.

  • From: James R. Cutler
  • Date: Tue Jan 08 16:54:25 2008

I am astounded at seeing this discussion. I have not seen this much disavowing of CIDR addressing since 2003 or before.

At least these arguments against .0 and .255 IPv4 addresses are based on perceived cost of operations, not ignorance of effective network number vs effective host number. Now, if we can get Microsoft to really support TCP/IP, we can make much progress. Of course, ubiquitous deployment of IPv6 will fix all that.

Especially on proxied enterprise networks, use all the addresses available base on the effective network address having host number of 0 and the broadcast address being an effective host address of all ones. We have had much success with this approach for some large customer networks. Also, if your router OS works in a classful manner, tell the vendor to fix it. We got CIDR years and years ago.

Note, the referenced Microsoft article uses the phrase, "the client may have difficulty communicating", not will.