Re: Assigning IPv6 /48's to CPE's?

  • From: John Dupuy
  • Date: Mon Jan 07 18:23:16 2008

If you go to
http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/IPv6_Presentations_and_Documents
there is at least one presentation from Comcast, a residential
broadband provider who explained that they simply cannot continue
in business without IPv6. They started IPv6 deployment planning
in 2005. If you don't know of CPE that supports IPv6, maybe you
should ask a broadband ISP that is serious about surviving in business
past the crunch of 2010.

I agree. I regularly ask my vendors when IPv6 support is coming. All of them, from ComTrend to Zoom to 3com to etc. have stated that they are not even started working on IPv6 yet. They all plan on it, though, for what that is worth. The closest I've found so far is the soho boxes from cisco. Not really aimed at the residential market, however.

Business-level service is supported now, of course.

IMO, the only answers so far:
businesses get /48
dialup gets /64

Wrong!
The answer so far is that EVERYBODY gets a /48, but if you think that
there is a risk that you won't be able to get additional /32s when you
outgrow your first allocation, then give a /56 to RESIDENTIAL SITES. This is not the same as dialup, i.e. residential sites could be
connected
with DSL, T1s, wireless, or whatever. In fact, if a business is
connected via dialup, you should give them a /48, because businesses have a habit
of
continuous growth, unlike residences which tend to top out at 5 or 6
residents.
We will probably disagree about this one. I will probably give out /48 to residential broadband when we expand IPv6 to residential. But dialup users typically have zero networks; not even the single LAN of res broadband. The "CPE" is the laptop (or PC) they dialed in with. ARIN says "/64 when it is known that one and only one subnet is needed".

Not that changing "all" of our IPv6 dialup users would take more than a couple of calls :). Talk about a narrow niche.

John