Re: SMTP addresses in <>

  • From: Joe Greco
  • Date: Fri Jan 04 11:35:00 2008

> On Jan 4, 2008 10:51 AM, Seth Mattinen <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Our mail servers reject connections that don't follow the RFC. Am I
> > wrong to do this?
>
> Seth,
>
> RFC 1122 (Requirements for Internet Hosts - Communication Layers)
> section 1.2.2 (Robustness Principle):
>
>                 "Be liberal in what you accept, and

That particular philosophy has done great wonders for e-mail and the spam
problem, been a key issue on both the penetration and implementation sides
of firewall design, etc.

"Liberal," when defined as "accept anything you reasonably can, and try to
deal with it," appears to be a policy that has had an overall negative
impact on protocol design and interoperability on the Internet.

"Liberal," if defined instead as "must accept anything in compliance with
RFC sender-side MUST/SHOULD/MAY's, and should reject as much of anything
else as you can figure out to," would be a better way to have defined
"liberal."  I think I would have preferred the word "robust" instead of
"liberal."

This would have spared us the agony of systems that are "smart" enough to
go direct-to-MX, but not smart enough to send a valid FROM line.

>                  conservative in what you send"

If only a more significant percentage of software was written in that
manner...

... JG