Re: Assigning IPv6 /48's to CPE's?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Thu Jan 03 04:12:45 2008

On Thu, 3 Jan 2008, Rick Astley wrote:

If Bob has a multihomed network, he can't just give one /48 to a customer in
NY and the next one to a customer in CA unless he wants to fill up Internet
routing tables with /48's, so he will have to assign large aggregate blocks
to each region.

Could you please elaborate on this? Unless Bob is actually breaking the "single AS needs to have common IGP and be connected internally", I don't understand the relevance of your statement above. Just because he's multihomed doesn't mean he can't just announce /32 and then internally handle the routing (of course he should do aggregation though, but perhaps is smaller chunks).

It seems to me while being extra super sure we meet goal 1 of making sure NAT is gone for ever (and ever) we fail goal 2 of not allocating a bunch of prefixes to ISP's that are too small.

Well, if you need a /20 for your business needs, you should request it. Afaik as long as you justify it, it shouldn't be a problem?

But I do agree that /56 should be enough for residential users for quite a while, so let's start there.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]