Re: IPv6 tracking assignments (OSS recommendations)

  • From: Deepak Jain
  • Date: Wed Jan 02 16:52:38 2008

I would think if you find something that tracks IPv6, that's all
you need. You can represent the whole IPv4 space with IPv4-mapped
IPv6 addresses, :ffff:a.b.c.d.

This is certainly true. Let's not forget that a simple thing that strips the :ffff: and converts the remaining bits from hex to decimal (at least visually) would be needed to keep the clue impaired up and running. :)

The point remains, IPv6 is clearly becoming an operational topic for NANOG so the standard suite of tools we've finally gotten to some level of decency need to be upgraded or adjusted to support v6.

DJ