RE: Assigning IPv6 /48's to CPE's?

  • From: Church, Charles
  • Date: Mon Dec 31 16:28:55 2007

So after reading this thread for a while, it's starting to make sense
that all subnets need to be /64.  So it's best to think of IPv6 like
IPX, but with a 64 bit network address.  I'm curious where the 64 bits
reserved for interface comes from though.  Haven't seen the history
behind that discussed really.  Ethernet MACs being 48 bits would seem
like a natural choice, leaving 80 bits for network addressing.  This
waste of space seems vaguely familiar to handing out Class A netblocks
20+ years ago.  "We'll never run out"...  Maybe it's just me though.

Chuck