Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Thu Dec 27 06:24:06 2007

On 27 dec 2007, at 11:57, [email protected] wrote:

"Configure this stuff manually" may work for a small number of
customers. It is highly undesirable (and probably won't be considered
at all) in an environment with, say, 1 million customers.

Of course not. But RAs on a subnet with a million customers doesn't work either, nor does DHCP on a subnet with a million customers.

If we're talking about provisioning cable/DSL/FTTH users, that's a completely different thing. Here, DHCPv6 prefix delegation to a CPE which then provides configuration to hosts on its LAN side would be the most appropriate option. However, the specifics of that model need to be worked out as there are currently no ISPs and no CPEs that do that, as far as I know.