Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Trent Lloyd
  • Date: Mon Dec 24 07:54:18 2007

Hi Jeroen,

On 24/12/2007, at 6:07 PM, Jeroen Massar wrote:

Joe Greco wrote:
[..]
Okay, here, let me make it reaaaaaaallllllyyyyy simple.

Yes, indeed lets make it reaaaaaaallllllyyyyy simple for you:

If your ISP has been delegated a /48 (admittedly unlikely, but possible)
for $1,250/year, and they assign you a /56, their cost to provide that
space is ~$5. They can have 256 such customers.

<cut>

How high are your transit&equipment bills again, and how are you exactly
charging your customers? ah, not by bandwidth usage, very logical!

Not my bandwidth usage? Ha. Ha. Haha. Ha.

Fortunately a /32 allocation was free from APNIC with our existing membership tier.

Regards,
Trent
Australia