Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Christopher Morrow
  • Date: Sun Dec 23 23:29:42 2007
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=S3pT6zkm0SEW+UWlTNGgbiQuhaIcD/MxH/5KteG296Q=; b=HCCUZBS2P5PM8PVZim7DJp3RXaHUiHraw3ldr6XKc6lG5c6bq7OUYgVk2TNPyjQOuXYnKxnDGNwxJWicMbEPZEC7EeMEIxi/ydBGq+XoMhlORX9HeDEtUvScG9iXUOQip4LykdreZvsGWeLHdc7afBH716Y71bKsIhjs4+atT4A=
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=WcOxC5t2Oz9LjvLabPIXkQqDBLJ+rz7ndOPG6LM5ehzo2/nRbREpjqUXF3ZNdS/aQ7V+ch+McOe7YbTh/5RQRSqgXd4H0jCS5alwkZijV1rUOqbBhn4gh+P0hkiN0kILjtoYSw6rqXaCZuqgiKk5VwLvXyN0mNxuK6RbES76vBg=

On Dec 23, 2007 1:21 PM, Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email protected]> wrote:

> > do organizations you know prefer autoconf or dhcpv6?  and why?
>

> What I hear is that enterprise admins want DHCPv6 because they want to
> have control. Me, I want to run a DHCPv6-free network because RAs give

not control, but 'the same functionality and capabilities as exist
today' (which is atleast resolver definitions, default-gw,
ip-addressing, equipment/asset tracking... more)

> me what I want and more protocols just means more headaches.

and trying to keep 50k machines updated with proper resolvers (in the
simplest example) is easier with RA than DHCP how?

Seriously, its head-out-of-sandpile time here. Enterprise admins and
dsl/cable-modem folks use DHCP today so that they can have some
flexibility to migrate their services around if there are issues,
concerns, or new/better platforms that could be taken advantage of by
their users. If you do not provide that level of flexibility with the
same (or better hopfully) overhead you've lost the game.

If your 'network' is 5 machines in a basement all with ssh+root then
this conversation doesn't matter. If your network is a 50k+ mixed
platform global enterprise network you are F'd with a capital F if you
have to spend cycles running to all 50k+ machines to update their
resolver settings (in just the simplest of examples).

-Chris