Re: v6 subnet size for DSL & leased line customers

  • From: Mark Smith
  • Date: Sun Dec 23 18:14:00 2007

On Sun, 23 Dec 2007 19:46:26 +0100
Florian Weimer <[email protected]> wrote:

> * Joe Greco:
>
> >> Right now, we might say "wow, 256 subnets for a single end-user...
> >> hogwash!" and in years to come, "wow, only 256 subnets... what were we
> >> thinking!?"
> >
> > Well, what's the likelihood of the "only 256 subnets" problem?
>
> There's a tendency to move away from (simulated) shared media networks.
> "One host per subnet" might become the norm.

Or possibly maybe Peter M. Gleitz's and Steven M. Bellovin's idea of

"Transient Addressing for Related Processes: Improved Firewalling by Using IPV6 and Multiple Addresses per Host"

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/tarp/tarp.html

A /64 per host is probably not necessary, however if an end-site has
a /48, that's 65K hosts so it wouldn't likely be much of a problem for
most sites ... certainly not my house currently or in the forseeable
future or my current employer, or most employers I've worked for in the
past.

--

        "Sheep are slow and tasty, and therefore must remain constantly
         alert."