Re: /48 for each and every endsite (Was: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?)

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Wed Dec 19 08:06:51 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Jeroen Massar wrote:

Can I read from this that you never actually read any of the $RIR policy
documentation about getting IPv6 address space even though you did
request a /32 before, clearly without thinking about it?

I never requested IPv6 space personally. I work with routing, not with LIR administration. I also know that RIR people don't work with routing, and it shows.

"new" as in "We already have one, but we actually didn't really know what we where requesting, now we need more"

We got our current block in 2000 (or earlier, I don't know for sure, but 2000 at the latest). So yes, we didn't know what we were doing back then. Then again, I'd say nobody knew back then.

That is exactly what it is for. Then again, if you actually had *PLANNED* your address space like you are supposed to when you make a request you could have already calculated how much address space you really needed and then justify it to the $RIR. In case you have to go back to ask the $RIR for more you already made a mistake while doing the initial request...

The world tends to change in 7 years. You seem to like bashing people for not knowing future policy and changes 7 year ahead of time, which I think it quite sad.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]