Re: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Wed Dec 19 07:00:03 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:

customers something bigger, like a /64, a /56 or even a /48. (Yes, we have enough address space for a /48 per customer.)

The good part about using /48 is that it gives customers an even : boundry for their space. Apart from that, I think /56 is a better idea (or perhaps even a /60). Good point there about autoconfiguration, subnetting using less than /64 is probably a bad idea.

So, out of our /32, if we assign each customer a /48 we can only support 65k customers. So in order to support millions of customers, we need a new allocation and I would really like for each new subnet allocated to be very much larger so we in the forseeable future don't need to get a newer one. So for larger ISPs with millions of customers, next step after /32 should be /20 (or in that neighborhood). Does RIPE/ARIN policy conform to this, so we don't end up with ISPs themselves having tens of aggregates (we don't need to drive the default free FIB more than what's really needed).

Other option is to have more restrictive assignments to end users and therefore save on the /32, but that might be bad as well (long term).

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]