Re: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?

  • From: Mohacsi Janos
  • Date: Wed Dec 19 05:38:05 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007, Kevin Oberman wrote:

If you see IPv6 as a solution to the exhaustion of IPv4 space, take a
look at http://www.civil-tongue.net/clusterf/. It may help at some
point, but many of us see no clear way to get from here to there without
massive growth in both the RIB and the FIB in the process.

I am actually more concerned with the CPE problem and how to make autoconfiguration work for end users.

For instance, should we assign /64 to end users and have them do whatever they need (subnet to /80 if they need more than one network)? We need to provision routes in whatever routers connect to customers, which I guess is the FIB/RIB-problem mentioned above?

Is there general agreement that IPv6 requires a router at the customer prem to scale (ISP doesn't want to know what the end user devices are)?
Also, is it ok to statically assign /64 to end user or should end user be able to switch addresses (some like dynamic IPs because it's not persistant over time and like the "privacy" you get by changing IP all the time).

In my opinion there is two type of users as usually ISP services are marketed:

1. Home user - not really interested in configuration of their devices - they just want Internet (now IPv4, soon IPv4 and IPv6) connectivity: They generaly don't use more than one LAN internally. All their devices are connected either directly to ISP device or to the home-gateway purchased at the cornet. In this case the /64 with autoconfiguration is the best option. User don't have to configure anything (may be enabling IPv6 on their computers).

2. Power users/business users - they can configure their devices, and they want measured and reported SLAs. If they want IPv6 they can articulate their needs: /64, /60, /56, or /48 with prioritisation, filtering
and other business needs. In this case DHCPv6 prefix delegation seems to be the most flexible solution. Since they can configure basic things on their device. The ISP can help them and negotiate accordingly...

In my opinion 99% of the users belongs to the home user category. However I think 80% the IPv6 traffic volume will be generated by power/business users.

I haven't been able to find a BCP regarding the end user equipment and how to configure it, does anyone have any pointers?

There is a draft that starts addressing the CPE problem available at: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-cpe-simple-security-00

If you think you can contribute, IETF v6ops welcomes you.

Best Regards,
 		Janos Mohacsi