Re: VSNL CANTAT-3 Optical Submarine Cable

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Tue Dec 18 10:52:11 2007
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=wi9E+uETEhGDtvkZwwIgSXZJB2FqPHWwSMhAh/a3zLU=; b=pPiQPecPAuud+L3zuVOVggh1/pjT8GmRFgiNKCAUXkleX8p6fZvKmxZWpGoqQCcrS0zU+VetWFJxyOzDftPo7u4X/5B5TMSLH9jl6+Vb0gS3nhwn7Noss+G2zABaZ5WJvh6+4SMwJ87iJnjuwm7O330Zi4W58tFI12C+qaATX34=

On Dec 18, 2007 8:11 AM, Neil J. McRae <[email protected]> wrote:
> > How about VSNL CANTAT-3? Any idea what's going on here?
>
> Its a very old cable which I'm sure must have passed its service life by
> now. It was frequenty affected by issues near iceland. (trawlers IIRC
> etc).

It's just approaching 15 years old and I think for '94 that this is
the expected lifespan. In January of '06 there was a major outage on
Cantat-3 that took a very long time to repair. This is why most people
can even recall the name. Check the nanog archives if you are
interested in the discussion that took place here.

There is a major fishing ground north of the cantat route off of
Iceland and south of Hornsfjordur , but the cable does not run through
it as far as I know, a little to East, and the "big" outage was
situated in the North Sea, southwest of Bergen, Norway. I'm not sure
about other outages. I have found some interesting stuff in some NOC
archives though.

Best,

Martin