Re: European ISP enables IPv6 for all?

  • From: Steven Haigh
  • Date: Tue Dec 18 04:40:54 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 10:09:16AM +0100, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> Vassili Tchersky wrote:
> [..]
>
> > XS4All (Netherlands) is providing the same service if I correctly remember.
>
> They used to have a product called "PowerDSL", which did IPv6 over
> PPPv6, but apparently due to changes in the infra they had to drop this.
> XS4all does still, since about 2001 or so, provide a tunnelbroker to
> their own users. Every user can simply go to the service.xs4all.nl site,
> and view/modify their tunnel + subnet configuration there. Only static
> tunnels are supported though (at least this is afaik).

It's kind of interesting that from 2001ish to current day and there is still
only a handful of service providers worldwide that seem to offer *any* kind
of support for IPv6.

After all the propaganda, is there actually any other major deployments in
the IPv6 space?

>From the ipv6.org web site, I see "Most of today's internet uses IPv4, which
is now nearly twenty years old." - read as it works well!

" IPv4 has been remarkably resilient in spite of its age, but it is beginning
to have problems." - Really? Every network I know using IPv4 still works as
designed.

"Most importantly, there is a growing shortage of IPv4 addresses, which are
needed by all new machines added to the Internet." - I'm sure there's a lot
more ways around this - and I'm sure the NANOG archives have a lot of thought
food there.

"It also adds many improvements to IPv4 in areas such as routing and network
autoconfiguration." - I would really love to know what these are that DHCP etc
doesn't already do. I tried to check out the FAQ at http://faq.v6.wide.ad.jp/
but it wasn't reachable - maybe it needs IPv6 connectivity? As for routing
'improvements', doesn't more address space just give us more routes to handle?

"IPv6 is expected to gradually replace IPv4, with the two coexisting for a
number of years during a transition period." - so this 'transition period' has
been, what, 7 years so far? I'm still predicting that it'll be at least another
10 years before IPv6 amounts to much...

On a side note, does anyone currently have issues getting new address space
where it's operationally required? I don't know anyone first hand who has yet
to come across this issue...

--
Steven Haigh

Email: [email protected]