Re: IPv4 BGP Table Reduction Analysis - Prefixes Filter by RIRs Minimum Allocations Boundaries

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Sun Dec 02 15:23:41 2007

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:59:19 EST, Andy Davidson said:
> On 29 Nov 2007, at 22:05, Eduardo Ascenco Reis wrote:

> > The methodology shows a good efficiency (around 40%) reducing BGP
> > table size, but the estimated number of affect prefixes are also
> > high (around 30%).
>
> This is an interesting piece of work, and highlights an interesting
> model (40% table size saving hurts 30% of traffic.)

No, it hits 30% of the *routes*.  I'll make a truly wild guess and say that
those 30% of routes actually only represent 0.3% of the *traffic* for most
providers, and the *only* people who really care are the AS that's doing
the deaggregate...

Eduardo - if you still have the lab setup and netflow/whatever data, is there
any way to tell if any of those 30% routes affected are in any way "high
traffic" sites?