Re: Comcast.net Email Admin

  • From: William Herrin
  • Date: Thu Nov 29 20:07:34 2007
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=ih4gQsVU2c3MweURK8WKDC162WS7tdBb31phDrw0Dsk=; b=tB3wq10RoRWPWu+6Ile4yC8g+qjPmPxuQq1G64GJAPgbTAgskvkJ9cYVwgiXCv4G2ag3neJF2HzGrnA5qBVB2K5cjBl05FlFb0H9VxKsWk4Zd793MPj5gRXuavjCBdfpCfAveb31Lr2jXNXlPzEq9hKceCeyKuSONnrJLzuBi9M=
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=ws0ru23CAT+A2Lwh2YFJ5ePae7ohzkb3AsDhNo1IC5WjhooD27QDIm845C9zHL2fXDSi+HutsJ+YNaWH0xYFvQjsaTm383X8j+FZnj+mUI+1W2Qyhe9Y6SAeFqCUhaREEvm+p95/MeoztnkV91e78DzdF//Uatp68UJnk60DSn8=

On Nov 29, 2007 7:33 PM, Sean Donelan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Yes, I understand that people who have never worked in a large providers
> won't get it.  Nevertheless, I still think it is a good idea for folks to
> have separate infrastructure for contacts such as abuse, security,
> postmaster so they can work even when other groups in a large company
> make changes to their corporate gateways, routers, etc.

Sean,

What's to get? If a particular error is easy to make (applying a
large-system mail policy that fouls up the abuse desk is an easy
mistake to make) and there's a relatively easy alternate system design
which discourages that mistake (a separate RHS for the abuse desk that
doesn't go through the primary mail path is an easy alternate system
design) then when the mistake is made, the ROOT CAUSE is the design
error (unified mail system) rather than the instant operator error
which revealed it.

Two errors but only one root cause. It seems perfectly straightforward to me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  [email protected]  [email protected]
3005 Crane Dr.                        Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>