Re: Creating a crystal clear and pure Internet

  • From: Valdis . Kletnieks
  • Date: Tue Nov 27 12:29:32 2007

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 07:31:08 PST, John Musbach said:

> I myself and I'm sure most others prefer net neutrality to the horrid
> alternative you're suggesting

I dunno.  I've often wished I *could* QoS some of my packets up/down so the
Linux distro ISO I'm downloading doesn't make my SSH get piggy, and I'd
certainly at least *consider* a provider that offered "NNN gig/month of
priority traffic, and unlimited scavenger-class" or similar ideas I've seen
proposed.  I'd even be OK with the provider QoS'ing the packets because the
*other* end of the connection did it (hey, you host a distro mirror, you want
to save those bandwidth charges, I can understand and will show solidarity by
playing along).

It's only when my packets get QoS'ed downward because some *third party* paid
the provider that it gets ugly and evil.

(And yes, I know there's the nasty corner cases where I'm sharing a pipe with
my next door neighbor who paid for a bigger slice of pipe.  If it was *easy*,
it would already be done rather than a big hairy policy issue.. ;)

Of course, any *sane* provider will totally ignore what I and the other 2%
lunatic fringe want, and market the plan that extracts maximum profit from
the 98% Joe Sixpack customers out there. :)