Re: [admin] Re: unwise filtering policy from cox.net

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Tue Nov 20 15:38:24 2007
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=hKr763DtUuwEWThszUjHk64b1lIUddQqbVuwsZABz/Q=; b=TdOIe5aCaHNV5UjSWrotb+ddHPRYlmcFePOr0l2xqOcMbW0oLmFM2aRqK3dB0uUG5E3AXhgMgGDlSaqu79MxV0DXR6ACWKQKzHqkbCL9zaFSJk0wjpVf9+lr4ZSWc2uwi5nVTAkTmvIRaLDMtLOik4MpxO1c+SIX+BzlBgb/V6A=

On Nov 20, 2007 3:11 PM, Alex Pilosov <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:21:19 PST, [email protected] said:
> > > This seems a rather unwise policy on behalf of cox.net -- their
> > > customers can originate scam emails, but cox.net abuse desk apparently
> > > does not care to hear about it.
> >
> > Seems to be perfectly wise if you're a business and care more about
> > making money than getting all tangled up in pesky things like morals and
> > ethics. It's great when you can help the balance sheet by converting
> > "ongoing support costs" and "loss of paying customers" into what
> > economists call "externalities" (in other words, they make the
> > decisions, but somebody else gets to actually pay for the choices made).
> This is one of the threads where posting further will not be productive.
>
> Cox abuse has been named and shamed, and hopefully, the next post we see
> to the thread will be from them.
>
> As a reminder, political discussions, and discussions about spam filtering
> (other than operational, such as [email protected] or [email protected]) are off-topic for
> nanog. Please keep it this way.

Actually, filtering techniques as applies to the operational aspect of
a mailer, MX to MX, are fine.

-M<

(BTW: Next time please run this to the MLC beforehand. Our public
policy says "consensus based" and public. You forgot the consensus
part.)