Re: Network Solutions domain transfer lock policy?

  • From: Andrew Sullivan
  • Date: Tue Nov 20 09:56:20 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 05:59:11PM -0500, Deepak Jain wrote:

> I just became aware of an SOP at Network solutions. On a contact change
> to a domain, they automatically transfer lock the domain for 60 days.

You might want to ask them, but I'd bet lunch this is an
anti-domain-theft policy.

If one is engaged in taking other registrants' domains, a trick to it
is to update the contact data and then transfer the registration to
another registrar.  In so-called "thin" registries (i.e. where the
contact data isn't also supposed to be stored in the registry), this
leaves the "history" of the domain at a registrar with whom the (ex
hypothesi illegitimate) registrant does not have a relationship, and
that makes getting the domain name back to its original registrant
that much harder.

I can see that this can have some unfortunate effects, particularly
in large organisations where different people might be resonsible for
data correctness and domain name registration management, but I think
it probably is an effort to protect people from one kind of attack
that's been seen.

----
<[email protected]>                              M2P 2A8
                                        +1 416 646 3304 x4110