Re: RIR filtering & Level3

  • From: Jon Lewis
  • Date: Thu Nov 15 09:51:41 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Pete Templin wrote:

1) ProviderX (L3 in this case) is allowing you to see some of their internal routing information. If by chance those more-specifics come with MED and you have multiple connections to them, you can choose to make intelligent routing decisions via MED. You could have circuitous routing though, should you not get the more-specifics over a subset of your connections

2) ProviderX is demonstrating their incompetence in routing and filtering. This is just an inkling of the goofy stuff and potential landmines lurking within their network. You should open tickets, escalate to management, and abandon this provider ASAP.

I don't think it's option 1. We've been a direct Level3 customer for several years and though we're not filtering on RIR minimums yet (ask me again in January :) we do have some basic sanity filtering in place. Level3 isn't sending us anything longer than /24 and hasn't at least in recent history (according to my distribute-list).

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |