Re: FCC rules for backup power

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Tue Nov 13 16:47:06 2007

On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 01:15:53PM -0800, Mike Lyon wrote:
> What? The gov't putting their nose in where it shouldn't be? NEVER!

	I must say, if you're a provider with US presence and you're not
paying attention to the FCC, DHS (NCS, NCSD) and possibly that thing called
NSTAC you may wake up one day and be amazed what is going on.

	Take an example - Unregulated chemical industry becomes regulated under
DHS.  (One of the 17 sectors that the govvies track).

	There's stuff to track that doesn't involve having a full time
employee to associate with it, but some allocation of time is valuable.

	If you don't, who knows, you may have Senator Stevens setting policy
that is relevant to you.

	http://hsgac.senate.gov/
	http://homeland.house.gov/

	There's all sorts of interesting stuff in this space to track.  What if
your network traffic doubled tomorrow due to a pandemic outbreak and everyone
starts telecommuting?

	http://www.dhs.gov/xprevprot/programs/editorial_0760.shtm

	Perhaps it's wrong, or maybe they're right?  I think continuing to watch
the activities in this space are going to be critical to our evolution as
providers of these ip packets.

	- Jared

ps. other stuff of interest:

www.it-scc.org (free)