Re: General question on rfc1918

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Tue Nov 13 10:12:30 2007

On 13-Nov-2007, at 10:08, Drew Weaver wrote:

Hi there, I just had a real quick question. I hope this is found to be on topic.

Is it to be expected to see rfc1918 src'd packets coming from transit carriers?

You should not send packets with RFC1918 source or destination addresses to the Internet. Everybody should follow this advice. If everybody did follow that advice, you wouldn't see the packets you are seeing.

The cynical answer, however, based on observation of real-life networks, is "yes" because people are naturally messy creatures.

We have filters in place on our edge (obviously) but should we be seeing traffic from 192.168.0.0 and 10.0.0.0 et cetera hitting our transit interfaces?

I guess I'm not sure why large carrier networks wouldn't simply filter this in their core?

I can think of lots of things that large carrier networks (as well as smaller, non-carrier networks!) do that seem on the face of it to defy explanation, of which this is just one example :-)

Joe