Re: cpu needed to NAT 45mbs

  • From: Carl Karsten
  • Date: Mon Nov 12 23:57:33 2007

Thank you for all the advice - it was nice to see 20 replies that all basically agreed (and with me too.) If only the 6 people involved in this project were such.

On Wifi for 1000:

I have tried to make sure everyone involved in this PyCon Wifi project has read http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0302/ppt/joel.pdf - too bad some have read it and don't get it. I think it will be OK, because someone else wrote up the plan, which is basically to use http://wavonline.com/vendorpages/extricom.htm

If anyone would like to see it in action, I am sure something can be arranged. (you are welcome to come look at it, but I would think would want to actually peek under the hood and see some stuff in real time, etc. ) March 13-16 in Chicago.

Carl K

Joel Jaeggli wrote:
Frank Bulk wrote:
I would have disagree with your point on centralized AP controllers --
almost all the vendors have some form of high availability, and Trapeze's
offering, new (and may not yet be G.A) purports to be almost entirely
seamless in its load sharing and failover support.

I have a few scars to show from deploying centralized ap controllers, from several vendors including the one that you mention above. Hence my observation that they must be deployed in a HA setup in that sort of environment...

We you lose a fat-ap, unless cascading failure ensues you just lost one
ap... When your ap-controller with 80 radio's attached goes boom, you
are dead. So, as I said if you're going to use a central ap controller
for an environment like this you need to avail yourself of it's HA features.

Now that dual-band radios in laptops are becoming more prevalent, it's
possible to get 30 to 50% of your user population using 802.11a.

Frank