Re: Getting DSL at your datacenter for OOB

  • From: David Ulevitch
  • Date: Wed Nov 07 17:22:05 2007

chuck goolsbee wrote:

> I thought it would be cool to start up a little co-op in our building of
copper cross-connects between various providers STRICTLY for OOB network access. No sales involved, no revenue, strictly butt-saving OOB access. I was actually getting traction until one ... for lack of a better term "party pooper"... put the kibosh on the whole thing and ripped all the wiring out before we had finished.

Several of us thought it was a fine idea. I imagine it *could* work in certain buildings/environments with more enlightened facilities and technical people around.

I've mentioned it to EQNX and PAIX numerous times that it would be a value-add at the right price point. They don't seem interested.

Most replies offlist seem to recommend just dealing with the hell that is the incumbent carrier ... or buying 1mbps-committed transit from someone willing to do it. The problem with that is the $300+ MRC that places like EQNX and PAIX will charge for the ethernet XC.

Some other replies offered the you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours solution of throwing an XC to each other in facilities like the Westin or the MMR at 111 8th where XC fees aren't MRCs.

-David