Re: bgp protection

  • From: Randy Bush
  • Date: Tue Nov 06 17:54:46 2007

at the end of nanog, i sent two messages.

minor side note re 204/4 , about which we can all really do nothing
for many years.  it engendered the thread from hell.

regarding getting vendors to implement rfc 4808, about which we can
do something, and which i think would be rather useful in actual
operation of our networks.  not a single comment ensued.

the key chunk of the latter is

> at nanog san jose, steve bellovin presented a simple proposal for bgp
> tcp/md5 re-keying.  it is now rfc 4808 "Key Change Strategies for
> TCP-MD5."  this allows us to install and/or roll keys without disturbing
> the bgp session.  and it is trivial for vendors to implement and for
> operators to use.
>
> imiho, until it is easy for us to use ipsec, or some other wonderful
> universal solution, that we implement and deploy rfc 4808.  it will
> solve 95% of our problem for the next five years while more
> sophisticated scheme(s) can be developed.

i again plead for folk to look at rfc 4808 and consider whacking
our vendors to implement.

randy