Re: Hey, SiteFinder is back, again...

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Sun Nov 04 08:36:54 2007

On Nov 4, 2007, at 1:52 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:
On 11/3/07, Allan Liska <[email protected]> wrote:

I know this is just anecdotal, but I have Verizon FIOS in Northern
Virginia and I have not seen sitefinder pop up. I just verified with a
few sites to make sure.

http://www.irbs.net/internet/nanog/0607/0139.html

oops, I was right (kinda).

Verizon != VeriSign, despite what people think.

A single provider doing this is not equivalent to the root servers doing it. You can change providers, you can't change "." in DNS.

Plus lots of providers do this, in the US and abroad.

Lastly, it's trivial to get around, unless your provider is transparently intercepting / redirecting port 53.

--
TTFN,
patrick