What can you use DSCP for?

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Tue Oct 30 08:06:56 2007

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007, John Kristoff wrote:
How much has really changed?  Do you (or if someone on these big nets
wants to own up offlist) have pointers to indicate that deployment is
significantly different now than they were a couple years ago?  Even
better, perhaps someone can do a preso at a future meeting on their
recent deployment experience?  I did one a couple years and I haven't
heard of things improving markedly since then, but then I am still
recovering from having drunk from that jug of kool-aid.  :-)

Once you get past the religious debates, DSCP can be very useful to
large, complicated networks with many entry and exit points. Think
about how large networks use tools such as BGP Communities to manage
routing policies across many different types of interconnections. You
may want to consider how networks use similar tools such as DSCP to
mark packets entering networks from internal, external, source address validated, management, etc interfaces. There are limited code-points so
you can't be too clever, but even knowing on the other side of then
network that a packet entered the network through a spoofable/non-spoofable
network interface may be very useful.